|Post-Op Instructions for Your Otoplasty (Ear Pinning) Surgery
- Sleep on your back with your head elevated 30-45 degrees; use two
pillows for the first 4-5 days after surgery.
- Severe pain or swelling, especially if greater on one side, is
uncommon-if you experience this notify us.
- You may wash your face but keep the dressing dry.
- We will see you in the office on the first postoperative
day so please leave bandages on until we remove them in
- You may bathe the day after surgery. Avoid getting your head
- Cleanse suture lines with Hydrogen Peroxide solution (mix 1 part
water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide). Dip a Q-tip
in the peroxide solution and gently roll it across
suture line to remove dried blood. You will need several
each time you do this.
- Take a dry Q-tip and-gently roll it across the suture line
to remove foam from peroxide and drainage. Repeat steps
1 and 2 as needed to remove dried blood completely.
- After suture line is thoroughly cleaned, apply a very
small amount of Bacitracin ointment over suture line.
- Repeat this procedure 2-3 times per day. By doing this,
you will minimize your risk of infection and reduce the
formation of scar tissue, giving a better cosmetic result.
- Dr. Pryor asks that you clean the incisions in this manner until all sutures are removed. After the sutures
are removed on day 5-10 you will be asked to use only Aquaphor ointment
to the incisions twice daily for a further two weeks.
- Avoid extreme physical activity including athletic activities. You may resume light walking 3 days after
surgery. Aerobic exercise, weight training, heavy lifting,
and straining may be gradually resumed 3 weeks after surgery.
- Absolutely avoid sun exposure, sun lamps, or tanning beds
for 6 weeks after surgery. Heat may cause your face
to swell. Wear SPF 20 sunscreen daily beginning 2 weeks after
- The headband dressing will be left in place for one week. Following this you will be asked to wear a head band around the ears day and night for 2 further weeks; then an additional 2 weeks at night only.
TAKE CHANCES! If you are concerned about anything you
consider significant, call us during
office hours at