Post-Op Instructions for Your Ear Lope Repair Surgery
- Do nothing to the surgical site for the first 24 hours and then refer to the instructions for incision care.
- You may bathe the day after surgery. Showering is usually permitted 2 days after surgery. Do not let the force of the shower beat directly on your face.
- Sutures will be removed 5-7 days after surgery.
- Take only the prescribed medication or Tylenol for pain control. Do not take aspirin or aspirin containing products for pain.
- Avoid bending over, heavy lifting and strenuous activity for one week.
- Avoid direct sun for 6 months. Wear sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection (SPF 15).
Care Instructions for Incisions
- Cleanse suture lines with hydrogen peroxide solution (mix 1 part water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide) and Q-tips. Dip the Q-tip in the peroxide solution and gently roll it across the suture line to remove dried blood. You will need several Q-tips each time you do this.
- Take a dry Q-tip and gently roll it across suture line to remove foam from peroxide and drainage. Repeat steps 1 and 2 as needed to remove dried blood completely.
- After suture line is thoroughly cleaned, apply a very small amount of Bacitracin Ointment over suture line.
- Repeat this procedure 2-3 times per day. By doing this, you will minimize your risk of infection and reduce the formation of scar tissue, giving a better cosmetic result.
- After the sutures are removed on day 5-7 you will be asked to use only Aquaphor ointment to the incisions twice daily for a further two weeks.